In the very beginning of the Bible, we see a glimpse of Perfection, that is Creation. God paints a picture in the book of Genesis, a picture that is so telling and yet so mysterious!
We find out that God is a Creator God.
A Living God.
A Speaking God.
A Loving God.
A Listening God.
A Cursing God.
Today marks a very important day in the Christian Church. Today is Ash Wednesday, a day that marks the start of a very important journey of reflection and remembrance. Today is the start of LENT. On this first day, let us ground ourselves in a reality that we many times forget.
19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you [are], And to dust you shall return.” – Gen 3:19 NKJV
It all started a few verses back in Genesis 3:1. The serpent comes on the scene and begins to twist the Word of God to place doubt in the mind of Eve. And so begins the the downward spiral:
- Eve Listens to the Serpent
- Eve ignores the (only) command of God
- Eve eats the fruit
- Eve gives the fruit to Adam
- Adam eats the fruitWhen we ignore the commands of God things do not work out so well for us. God does not give us commands to control us, but rather to free us and keep us safe from things that will hurt us. Remember, God is a loving God! He is a FATHER! His curses are punishment for disobedience, just like an earthly father would punish the disobedience of his child.
- God shows up walking through the garden
- Adam and Eve hide
- God calls out to them
- Adam admits they hid in Fear
- Adam blames Eve
- Eve blames the Serpent
- God curses all three
We must not forget, the voice of the enemy is always tempting and he is very crafty and knows the Word of God. The God that we serve, is a GOD whom Curses/Punishes those whom He Loves! Let us not Curse God because of the Pain in our lives! Curses come because of disobedience…
Let us take this 40 Days of LENT, removed distraction, quiet our hearts, quiet our minds, and pursue the Voice of God!
The beauty of being a Christian today is something that Adam and Eve did not have, an much of Human History had not had…
A Solution to the Curse!
13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed [is] everyone who hangs on a tree”), – Gal 3:13 NKJV
Biblical Definition of Curse:
|Strong’s Number: g2671||Greek: katara|
Curse, Cursing (Noun and Verb), Cursed, Accursed: